At Chodorow Law Offices, we help with citizenship issues. For a brief summary of citizenship laws, see Quick Reference to Citizenship. Our firm’s services include, for example:

    • Naturalization. See also our article on Choosing Between U.S. and Chinese Citizenship: Pros and Cons.
    • Expeditious naturalization  under section 319(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act for certain spouses of U.S. citizens employed abroad for U.S. companies, the U.S. Government, international organizations, research institutions, or religious organizations.
    • Acquisition of citizenship by birth abroad to a U.S. citizen parent, including applying for a consular report of birth abroad (CRBA), passport, and social security number.
    • Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate under Section 322 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, for a child who was born abroad and lives with a U.S. citizen parent but who did not automatically acquire citizenship at birth
    • Complicated U.S. passport applications
    • Advice for children with dual U.S.-China nationality, including determining a child’s nationality; advice for international travel with a China passport, travel permit (旅行证), or exit and entry permit (通行证); enrollment in Chinese schools; and renunciation of citizenship.

In addition, our firm has unparalleled experience and resources on the ground for representing clients with regard to citizenship issues before the U.S. Consulates in Greater China (Beijing, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Chengdu, Shenyang, Hong Kong, and Taipei). We make it our business to know each consulate’s policies, practices, and procedures. 

Schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in Beijing, Shenyang, Shanghai, or Los Angeles; or by phone, Skype, WeChat, or FaceTime. Our goal is to become your trusted legal adviser.

Related articles:

Chinese Turning to American Surrogate Mothers

Chinese couples who are unable to have children are turning to a surprising place for help these days: America. By hiring American surrogates, Chinese couples get around a ban on surrogacy in China. Also, by having a child born abroad, parents skirt the one-child policy and get a U.S. passport ...
Read More

Chinese Birth Tourism (Story by Germany’s ARD TV)

Germany's public broadcaster, ARD, has a story on Chinese birth tourism to the U.S. Karin Dohr interviewed attorney Gary Chodorow for the story. Chodorow says that birth tourism can put couples at risk if they misrepresent the  purprose of their visit to the U.S. Consulate when applying for a visa or to ...
Read More

Birth Tourism: $50,000 for a U.S. Birth Certificate?

The governor of the U.S. Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands (CNMI), Eloy Inos, and the territory’s delegate to the U.S. Congress, Gregorio Kilili Sablan, say they are working to try to stop birth tourism ...
Read More

Cult-Induced Renunciation of United States Citizenship

The U.S. State Department instructs consular officers about how to treat "cult members [who] wish to relinquish U.S. nationality." (7 FAM 1296). Yes, that's a thing ...
Read More

Duplicate U.S. Passport: Do American Expats in China Need One?

Do American expats in China need a duplicate U.S. passport? The Public Security Bureau holds your main passport for 15 working days when you apply for a residence permit, which can cause many hassles ...
Read More