At Chodorow Law Offices, we help with citizenship issues. For a brief summary of citizenship laws, see Quick Reference to Citizenship. Our firm’s services include, for example:

    • Naturalization. See also our article on Choosing Between U.S. and Chinese Citizenship: Pros and Cons.
    • Expeditious naturalization  under section 319(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act for certain spouses of U.S. citizens employed abroad for U.S. companies, the U.S. Government, international organizations, research institutions, or religious organizations.
    • Acquisition of citizenship by birth abroad to a U.S. citizen parent, including applying for a consular report of birth abroad (CRBA), passport, and social security number.
    • Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate under Section 322 of the Immigration and Nationality Act, for a child who was born abroad and lives with a U.S. citizen parent but who did not automatically acquire citizenship at birth
    • Complicated U.S. passport applications
    • Advice for children with dual U.S.-China nationality, including determining a child’s nationality; advice for international travel with a China passport, travel permit (旅行证), or exit and entry permit (通行证); enrollment in Chinese schools; and renunciation of citizenship.

In addition, our firm has unparalleled experience and resources on the ground for representing clients with regard to citizenship issues before the U.S. Consulates in Greater China (Beijing, Guangzhou, Shanghai, Chengdu, Shenyang, Hong Kong, and Taipei). We make it our business to know each consulate’s policies, practices, and procedures. 

Schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in Beijing, Shenyang, Shanghai, or Los Angeles; or by phone, Skype, WeChat, or FaceTime. Our goal is to become your trusted legal adviser.

Related articles:

Duplicate U.S. Passport: Do American Expats in China Need One?

Do American expats in China need a duplicate U.S. passport? The Public Security Bureau holds your main passport for 15 working days when you apply for a residence permit, which can cause many hassles ...
Read More

Best Passport for Visa-Free Travel?

Here's a global ranking of countries by the ability of their passport holders to enter other countries visa-free. The U.S. ties for 2nd place, with its citizens able to enter 172 countries with no visa. And China is in 82nd place, with its citizens able to enter 44 countries with ...
Read More

Quick Reference to Citizenship

This article briefly describes the paths to U.S. citizenship. These include birth in the U.S., naturalization, the Child Citizenship Act of 2000, and acquisition of citizenship at birth abroad ...
Read More

Birth Tourists Face Prison in Hong Kong

About 420 mainland Chinese women have been sentenced to prison in Hong Kong since October 2010 for violating immigration laws in order to give birth in the city, according to  Te-Ping Chen of the Wall Street Journal ...
Read More

Shady Chinese Agencies Promoting U.S. Birth Tourism–Part 2: Hong Kong’s Struggle with the Problem

This series looks at shady Chinese agencies promoting U.S. birth tourism: ...
Read More