Family Immigration

At Chodorow Law Offices, we put families first. Our family immigration work includes, for example:

  • We help with special issues faced by U.S. citizen expats, including the option to file Form I-130 with a USCIS international office or U.S. Consulate and questions related to domicile for the Form I-864, Affidavit of Support. 
  • Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status

In addition, if your relative is in China, we have unparalleled experience and resources on the ground for representing clients before the USCIS offices and U.S. Consulates in China that handle immigrant visa applications (Guangzhou and Hong Kong). We make it our business to know each consulate’s policies, practices, and procedures. 

Schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in Beijing, Shenyang, Shanghai, or Los Angeles; or by phone, Skype, WeChat, or FaceTime. Our goal is to become your trusted legal adviser.

Related articles:

Is This a Thing? Advertising for an Affidavit of Support Joint Sponsor

I just came across this classified ad on Craigslist seeking a joint sponsor for the Form I-864, Affidavit of Support: ...
Read More

Form I-864, Affidavit of Support: What if the Petitioner Dies?

Unfortunately, there are occasions when a petitioner who has filed a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, dies before their relatives immigrate. It may still be possible to complete the immigration process. This article discusses how death alters the normal requirement that the petitioner file a Form I-864, Affidavit of Support ...
Read More

Dear USCIS: Digitize the Form I-864, Affidavit of Support, Please

The Washington Post reports that the U.S. Citizenship an Immigration Services has spent more than $1 billion trying to replace its antiquated paper-based approach to managing immigration with a system of online forms. But a decade in, all that officials have to show for the effort is a single online ...
Read More

Top 5 Reasons Immigrant Visa Applications Are Denied

According to the U.S. State Department, the top five reasons that immigrant visa applications are denied due to applicants' failure to bring required documents include: ...
Read More

Guide to Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

This article explains the requirements and procedures for a conditional resident to file a Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. Feel free to ask questions or add your thoughts in the below "Comments" section ...
Read More

Chinese Arrested in U.S. Marriage Fraud Scheme

Federal authorities have arrested Jason Shiao (aka Xiao Zhengyi) and his daughter, Lynn Leung, on charges of conspiring to commit visa fraud by arranging phony marriages between Chinese citizens seeking legal residency and American spouses ...
Read More

Must an Immigrant Visa Applicant Intend to Live in the U.S. Permanently?

Clients often ask whether to qualify for an immigrant visa (i.e., a green card) they must intend to move to the U.S. permanently. Take, for example, a father who owns a business in China. Can he apply for an EB-5 investor green card so that his teenage son can accompany ...
Read More

Obergefell v. Hodges: Supreme Court’s Ruling on Same-Sex Marriages Will Benefit Immigrants

The U.S. Supreme Court's ruling in favor of same-sex marriage will make it easier and less costly for many foreign nationals to obtain immigration benefits through marriage. In an historic 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court ruled last Friday in Obergefell v. Hodges that the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution ...
Read More

Event: USCIS Beijing Field Office Briefing

On July 6, the American Chamber of Commerce will host a presentation by James Chiang, Director of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Beijing Field Office. This office is responsible for adjudicating a wide variety of immigration-related petitions and applications, providing information services and issuing travel documents to people in ...
Read More

Issues for U.S. Expats Filing a Form I-130, Immigrant Petition for Alien Relative

Here's a reader's question: I am a U.S. citizen and have been living outside the U.S. for almost four years for study. I got married a year ago and would like to apply for my husband to immigrate. My question is, can I apply for him while I am outside the ...
Read More