Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) economies stand to gain between 38 and 57 million additional international tourist arrivals by 2016 from visa facilitation. That’s the finding of this report by the UN World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) and the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC). Proposed types of visa facilitation include:
- improving the delivery of information on entry formalities
- facilitating current processes (e.g., reducing personal interviews, official document requirements, and wait times)
- provide differentiated treatment for key market segments (e.g., allowing cruise passengers to disembark without visas or special treatment in certain geographical areas or ports of entry)
- implement eVisa programmes
- establish regional agreements that allow travellers from a third country to move freely between member countries once admitted by one member country
APEC has 21 member countries, including the U.S. and China.