Naturalization and Citizenship

Guide to Acquisition of U.S. Citizenship by Birth Abroad

This article discusses the requirements and procedures for a child born abroad to automatically acquire U.S. citizenship at birth. In such cases, the child may apply for a U.S. passport, consular report of birth abroad (CRBA), and/or certificate of citizenship.