Maintaining Permanent Resident Status During Stays Abroad

If you are a green card holder who will be abroad for a prolonged period of time, you should plan ahead regarding whether and how to maintain your lawful permanent resident (LPR) status. It’s a myth the you can preserve LPR status just by entering the U.S. once every 6 months and filing U.S. tax returns. Failure to follow the rules could lead to loss of your LPR status through abandonment and to ineligibility for naturalization. Planning ahead can save time, money, and frustration. Our firm can help with:

  • Form I-131, Application for Travel Document (Reentry Permit)
  • Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation)
  • Form N-470, Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes
  • Form DS-117, Application to Determine Returning Resident Status (SB-1 returning resident visa)
  • Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status
  • Determining whether you  are eligible for naturalization
  • Gathering evidence of the reasons for and temporariness of your departure from the U.S. and stay abroad
  • Planning for what ties to keep in the U.S. while you are gone, what ties to cut, and what ties would be good or bad to establish abroad, such as a home or other real estate, employment, bank accounts, investments, etc.
  • Planning for Federal and state tax filing issues such as claiming a foreign-earned income exclusion or filing as a nonresident

If you are at risk of being charged by U.S. Customs and Border Protection with abandonment of LPR status, our firm can help you plan for seeking to reenter U.S., such as:

  • Choosing a port of entry
  • Deciding whether to enter alone or with others
  • Carrying a proper entry document or applying for a waiver
  • Carrying evidence for why you departed the U.S. and stayed abroad, as well as of your ties to the U.S., and perhaps a short legal memo from your lawyer
  • Answering questions that may be posed to you by the CBP officer
  • Anticipating potential problems, such as:
    • Secondary inspection
    • Deferred inspection
    • What if the officer suggests signing Form I-407, Abandonment of Permanent Residence?
    • Notice to Appear for a removal (deportation) hearing in Immigration Court

U.S. Visas | Permanent Residence | Citizenship

We help businesses, professionals, investors, families, and others worldwide.

Contact us in Beijing, Shenyang, Shanghai, or Los Angeles. Consultations in person, by phone, or by video conference.

Related articles

New USCIS “Travel Document” to Replace Reentry Permits and Refugee Travel Documents

USCIS has announced that a new "travel document" will replace reentry permits and refugee travel documents. The USCIS' purpose is to have a document more secure against tampering, counterfeiting, and fraud. The new document went into production on Oct. 24, 2019 ...
Read More

Making a Congressional Inquiry for Help with Your Immigration Case

A member of the U.S. Congress may be willing to inquire with a Federal immigration agency, such as U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the U.S. Department of State (DOS), if you are having problems with your case ...
Read More

Green Card Holders Staying Abroad Over 6 Months Risk Abandonment

What do you need to do to preserve your status as a lawful permanent resident (LPR)? If you are abroad for 6 months or more per year, you risk "abandoning" your green card. This is especially true after multiple prolonged absences or after a prior warning by a U.S. Customs ...
Read More

Guide to Reentry Permits

If you are a U.S. lawful permanent resident (LPR), there are at least three situations where applying for a reentry permit may be beneficial: (a) if you will be abroad for one year or more; (b) if you will be abroad for more than six months for two consecutive years; ...
Read More

AmCham China Addresses U.S. Visa Policy in 2018 White Paper

2018 is a historic year for American companies operating in China: as China marks its 40th anniversary of economic reform and opening, AmCham China is issuing the 20th edition of its American Business in China White Paper. This paper is a comprehensive assessment of the operating environment for foreign companies ...
Read More

LPR Living with a Citizen Spouse Employed Abroad by an American Company: Any Risk of Abandonment?

Karen writes to ask: I am a U.S. green card holder, but I live in Asia with my husband, who is a U.S. citizen employed here by an American company. Is there any risk that I may unintentionally lose my LPR status because I am spending too much time outside ...
Read More

Can a Green Card Holder Who’s Been Overseas for 6 Months Apply for U.S. Citizenship?

A reader asks, "Can a green card holder who's been overseas for 6 months apply for citizenship?" In short, maybe. It depends on the specifics of your situation ...
Read More

Biometrics Appointments for Reentry Permit Applicants Living Overseas

Are you an U.S. green card holder living temporarily abroad who has applied for a reentry permit? You have several options for dealing with the hassle of attending the USCIS biometrics appointment: expedite, walk-in, reschedule ...
Read More

Guide to Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

This article explains the requirements and procedures for a conditional resident to file a Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence. Feel free to ask questions or add your thoughts in the below "Comments" section ...
Read More

Rights and Obligations of Lawful Permanent Residents

This memo summarizes the rights and obligations you have upon becoming a U.S. lawful permanent resident (LPR), also known as a “green card” holder. You might want to keep a copy of this memo so that you can refer to it in the future. Questions or comments are welcome in ...
Read More