Gary Chodorow (乔德睿), managing attorney of Chodorow Law Offices, is a China-based immigration lawyer. He has helped clients with U.S. visas, permanent residence, and citizenship matters for more than 20 years. Gary also is a founding member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association’s Asia-Pacific chapter, co-chair of the American Chamber of Commerce-China’s visa committee, and adjunct professor at Chicago-Kent School of Law. Read more.
- Spouses of U.S. citizens
- K-1 fiancé(e)s
- Parents, children, and other relatives of U.S. citizens and permanent residents
- Form I-864, Affidavit of Support
- Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence
- Expeditious naturalization for spouses of U.S. citizens employed abroad for certain U.S. companies or organizations
- Acquisition of citizenship by birth abroad to a U.S. citizen parent
- Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate under Section 322 of the Immigration and Nationality Act
- Advice for children with dual U.S. and Chinese nationality
- Form I-131, Application for Travel Document (Reentry Permit)
- Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation)
- Form N-470, Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes
- Form DS-117, Application to Determine Returning Resident Status (SB-1 returning resident visa)
- Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status
- Options after a consular officer denies your visa
- Immigration consequences of crime
- Unlawful presence waivers
- Fraud and misrepresentation
- Communist Party members
- 212(d)(3), 212(g) and 212(h) waivers
- I-212 permission to reapply after removal
- J-1 foreign residence requirement waiver
- L-1 intracompany transferees
- O-1 extraordinary ability
- H-1B professionals
- H-3 trainees
- F-1 students
- B1/B2 visitors for business, pleasure, or medical treatment
- To be used for purposes such as immigration and employment background checks
Chodorow Law Offices helped get my Canada permanent residence application approved. In particular, the law firm proved to Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that it was not possible for me to meet the normal requirement of submitting a police certificate from China, where I previously lived. The firm’s work was quick, with clear, prompt, and personal communications, thanks especially to Pete Zhang. I have no hesitation in recommending your firm.
Gary Chodorow was the attorney for my J-1 waiver, H-1B, outstanding professor green card, and naturalization. Recently, he helped apply for certificates of citizenship (Form N-600K) for my children living in Paris. We couldn’t have achieved this without his expertise and guidance. We’re deeply grateful for the wonderful job he did. The above photo of the kids’ naturalization ceremony hangs in our living room.
Pete Zhang, the paralegal who helped with my application for a Nanjing police certificate, was exemplary in every way. He introduced himself at the beginning; responded to questions and requests promptly; showed initiative to track down the right people; and was patient and reassuring, building trust and confidence in his competence and the professionalism of the firm.
Attorney Gary Chodorow represented me in applying for a visa at the U.S. Consulate in Shenyang. When the Consulate returned my passport, it was accompanied by a note thanking Gary for the “thorough and well-prepared” visa application. I’ve never heard of a consular officer sending out a thank-you note!
Thank you for doing a fantastic job with our K-1 visa and adjustment of status. Throughout this whole process, you guys were on the ball and handled everything professionally. In particular, we want to thank our case manager, Linda, for keeping us informed and updated about our case. Linda was a pleasure to work with.
Chodorow Law Offices helped me become a U.S. citizen through expeditious naturalization under INA section 319(b). They were professional, punctual in responding to my questions, and knowledgeable about this type of case.
Gary Chodorow and his team provided support far beyond our expectations resulting in a K-1 visa for my Chinese fiancé. He and his team are experienced with the issues faced by international LGBT couples. Chodorow Law Offices is effective in working across language and cultural boundaries. I recommend them highly.
I would like to personally thank you for this great source of information…. I wish I would have known three years ago what I’ve learned from reading your “Law and Border Blog.” It would have helped me make better decisions and avoid a lot of pain and travails….
Many thanks for all your help throughout the [U.S. family-sponsored immigration] process. You were very friendly, supportive and professional. You made a difficult task manageable. I am very happy to have completed the process within six months.
Gary Chodorow and Linda Tang were incredibly helpful in assisting us with a K-1 (fiancée) visa and then a green card on the basis of our marriage. They were experienced and knowledgeable in all aspects of immigration law related to our case. Gary and Linda continuously kept us up to date with a clear schedule and meetings. They made it simple for us to understand the procedures and set our expectations appropriately. Thank you.
U.S. State Department Appeals to Ninth Circuit a Ruling That Same-Sex Couple’s Child Acquired Citizenship Upon Birth Abroad