PRC Officials Must Report Family’s Emigration

Xinhua press agency reports that under new rules officials must report the whereabouts of their spouses and children who have moved abroad.

This is part of an anti-corruption regulation that also requires officials to report changes in their marital status, personal incomes, housing, and their family’ s investments.

According to Xinhua, the new regulation was issued by the General Office of China’s State Council and the General Office of the Communist Party of China (CPC) Central Committee.

The regulation defines “officials” as those leaders holding official ranks of and above county level in government agencies, parties, public institutions, state owned enterprises, and state holding enterprises.

The new regulation requires officials to report changes in their marital status and the location of their spouses and children if they have moved abroad, within 30 days after such a change takes place. Specifically, officials should report their ownership of passports or visas and their children’s marital status if they are married to foreigners or residents of Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan.

Apparently, in China there is a risk that if the family has emigrated then the government official is likely to flee China once he or she has saved enough money from corrupt practices such as embezzlement and bribery.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *