K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa Guide


Congress created the K-1 fiancé(e) visa in 1970 out of recognition that the existing visa options for couples were insufficient. One option was for the U.S. citizen to go abroad to marry, after which the foreign spouse could apply for an immigrant visa on the basis of the marriage. Another option was for the foreign fiancé(e) to obtain a B-2 (visitor for pleasure) visa to come to the U.S. to marry, but an important limitation is that B2 visas are only available if the foreign fiancé(e) does not intend to immigrate to the U.S.[1] In creating the K-1 visa option, Congress sought to create a method for a foreign fiancé(e) to enter the U.S for purposes of marriage and immigration.[2]

Continue reading “K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa Guide”