U.S. Visas for Medical Treatment

medicalMore Chinese patients are checking into travel abroad for healthcare needs, helped by a rising demand for better quality medical care and sophisticated treatments, according to a recent article by Caixin. Below, I look at the driving forces behind the increase in so-called medical tourism, some differences between the U.S. and Chinese health care systems, the doctor-patient relationship in the U.S., and the U.S. visa requirements for healthcare visits. Continue reading

Top 11 Ways to Prove a Valid Marriage for Immigration

Do you have an immigration case which will require you to prove the validity of your marital relationship to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services or to a U.S. Consulate? For example, are you seeking to (a) immigrate based on a spouse’s Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, (b) get a K-1 visa based on a fiance’s Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiance, or (c) file a Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence? This article describes 11 things you can do to better document your relationship. Continue reading

Eight Ideas for Reforming China’s Immigration System

npcWith the country’s economic surge, made possible by reform and opening up, China has gone from almost exclusively out-migration to bustling two-way migration. The Exit-Entry Administration Law, enacted in 2012, made strides towards updating the immigration system. But there’s much more to be done. Here are eight ideas for reforming China’s immigration law system in ways that serve the national interest. Some are big, some small. Continue reading

Applying to Renounce Chinese Citizenship

中国退籍证书A child may acquire Chinese citizenship automatically upon birth to binational parents (one Chinese and one foreign). Dual nationality is not recognized under the Nationality Law. So a child who acquires Chinese citizenship at birth remains a Chinese citizen,  in the PRC government’s view, even if he or she obtains a foreign passport. Thus, renunciation of PRC citizenship may in some cases be essential for the child to be recognized as a foreign national by the Chinese government for purposes such as attending an international school in China or obtaining a PRC visa. This article discusses the requirements and procedures for renunciation. Continue reading