Excellence in U.S. Immigration and Nationality Law.
That’s our Passion.

At Chodorow Law Offices, we help with U.S. visas, permanent residence, and citizenship matters. We represent businesses, professionals, investors, families, and other clients located worldwide. Our goal is to become your trusted legal adviser. Read more about our firm.

You are welcome to schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in Beijing, Shenyang, Shanghai, or Los Angeles; or by phone, Skype, WeChat, or FaceTime.

Gary Chodorow, Managing Attorney

Gary Chodorow

Gary Chodorow (乔德睿), managing attorney of Chodorow Law Offices, is a China-based immigration lawyer. He has helped clients with U.S. visas, permanent residence, and citizenship matters for more than 20 years. Gary also is a founding member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association’s Asia-Pacific chapter, co-chair of the American Chamber of Commerce-China’s visa committee, and adjunct professor at Chicago-Kent School of Law. Read on.






What We Do

Family Immigration

Spouses of U.S. citizens

K-1 fiancé(e)s

Parents, children, and other relatives of U.S. citizens and permanent residents

Form I-864, Affidavit of Support

Form I-751, Petition to Remove the Conditions of Residence

Employment-Based Immigration

Multinational managers and executives

EB-1 extraordinary ability

Outstanding professors and researchers


L-1 intracompany transferees

EB-5 investors

Green cards for multinational managers and executives



Expeditious naturalization for spouses of U.S. citizens employed abroad for certain U.S. entities or international organizations

Acquisition of citizenship by birth abroad to a U.S. citizen parent

Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate under Section 322 of the Immigration and Nationality Act

Complicated passport applications

Advice for children with dual U.S. and Chinese nationality

Temporary Visas

L-1 intracompany transferees

O-1 extraordinary ability

H-1B professionals

F-1 students

B1/B2 visitors for business, pleasure, or medical treatment

China Police Certificates for Foreigners

To be used for purposes such as immigration and employment background checks

Maintaining Permanent Resident Status During Stays Abroad

Form I-131, Application for Travel Document (Reentry Permit)

Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation)

Form N-470, Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes

Form DS-117, Application to Determine Returning Resident Status (SB-1 returning resident visa)

Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status

Visa Ineligibility & Waivers

Options after a consular officer denies your visa

Immigration consequences of crime

Unlawful presence waivers

Fraud and misrepresentation

Communist Party members

212(d)(3), 212(g) and 212(h) waivers

I-212 permission to reapply after removal

J-1 foreign residence requirement waiver

Client Testimonials

Gary Chodorow and his team provided support far beyond our expectations resulting in a K-1 visa for my Chinese fiancé. He and his team are experienced with the issues faced by international LGBT couples. Chodorow Law Offices is effective in working across language and cultural boundaries. I recommend them highly.
Kennethvia avvo.com

Recent Blog Posts

Summer 2019 Internship Opportunity: U.S. Immigration Law (Shenyang)

Our law firm has an internship opportunity in the Shenyang office. The intern will assist our lawyers and staff with projects related to U.S. visa, permanent residence, and nationality law ...
Read More

Job Opening: Bilingual Paralegal (Shenyang)

The paralegal will work under lawyer supervision to manage all steps of U.S. immigration cases before U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, the State Department, and U.S. Customs and Border Protection. This includes nonimmigrant visas (e.g., B, H, L, O), permanent residence (e.g., through family, investment, or employment), and naturalization. Specialized training provided ...
Read More

Trump’s Wrong Assertion That He Can End Birthright Citizenship by Executive Order

President Trump baldly asserted this week that he can issue an executive order ending birthright citizenship for children born in the U.S. to undocumented parents. My initial reaction was frustration. How can the President claim--with no explanation--the power to act in a way that appears contrary to the plain words of the U.S. Constitution? Is this a serious proposal that ...
Read More

Quotes and Quips

"We cannot just sit idly by and watch our most vulnerable neighbors become collateral damage, stemming from hard-lined ideologies. Together, we stand against these changes. No one should have to choose between food and family." -- Op-ed opposing the Trump Administration's proposed rule that would put at risk foreign nationals' eligibility for green cards if previously, while lawfully residing in ...
Read More

The Proposed Changes to Public Charge: What You Need to Know

Over the weekend, the Trump administration took steps to radically transform a little-known provision of immigration law that could have an outsized impact on legal immigration. In proposed regulations posted on Saturday, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) indicated that it would redefine the legal term “public charge” to block green cards for low-income immigrants who receive non-cash public benefits ...
Read More

Trump’s Proposed “Public Charge” Rule Intensifies War on Legal Immigrants

On September 22, 2018, the Trump administration announced the upcoming publication of a proposed rule that if implemented as written, would prevent immigrants from securing lawful permanent residence and remaining with their families in the United States, simply because at any time in the past, they received some type of basic health care support, nutrition assistance, or other vital services ...
Read More

Congressional Report Raises Concerns: Could Chinese Students and Scholars Association Members Be Denied Green Cards?

A new Congressional report asserts that Chinese Students and Scholars Associations (CSSAs) at U.S. colleges appear to be directly subordinate to and receive political direction from the Chinese Embassy and consulates. This report raises concerns: could the U.S. government deny green cards to CSSA members? The report, entitled China's Overseas United Front Work: Background and Implications for the United States ...
Read More

What Type of China Birth Certificate Is Required for U.S. Immigration?

If you were born in Mainland China and are applying for a U.S. green card, you will need to submit a China birth certificate. That's true regardless of whether you are filing a Form I-485, Application to Adjust Status, with USCIS or are applying for an immigrant visa at a U.S. consulate abroad. Both agencies look at specifications in the ...
Read More

Can I Visit the U.S. While Waiting for My Immigrant Visa?

Here’s a question I’m often asked: I am married to a U.S. citizen. He has started the process for me to get a green card by filing a Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. Once it’s approved by USCIS, I will apply for an immigrant visa at the U.S. Embassy in my home country. Can I visit America while I’m ...
Read More