Maintaining Permanent Resident Status During Stays Abroad

If you are a green card holder who will be abroad for a prolonged period of time, you should plan ahead regarding whether and how to maintain your lawful permanent resident (LPR) status. It’s a myth the you can preserve LPR status just by entering the U.S. once every 6 months and filing U.S. tax returns. Failure to follow the rules could lead to loss of your LPR status through abandonment and to ineligibility for naturalization. Planning ahead can save time, money, and frustration.

Our firm can help with:

  • Form I-131, Application for Travel Document (Reentry Permit)
  • Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation)
  • Form N-470, Application to Preserve Residence for Naturalization Purposes
  • Form DS-117, Application to Determine Returning Resident Status (SB-1 returning resident visa)
  • Form I-407, Record of Abandonment of Lawful Permanent Resident Status
  • Determining whether you  are eligible for naturalization
  • Gathering evidence of the reasons for and temporariness of your departure from the U.S. and stay abroad
  • Planning for what ties to keep in the U.S. while you are gone, what ties to cut, and what ties would be good or bad to establish abroad, such as a home or other real estate, employment, bank accounts, investments, etc.
  • Planning for Federal and state tax filing issues such as claiming a foreign-earned income exclusion or filing as a nonresident

If you are at risk of being charged by U.S. Customs and Border Protection with abandonment of LPR status, our firm can help you plan for seeking to reenter U.S., such as:

  • Choosing a port of entry
  • Deciding whether to enter alone or with others
  • Carrying a proper entry document or applying for a waiver
  • Carrying evidence for why you departed the U.S. and stayed abroad, as well as of your ties to the U.S., and perhaps a short legal memo from your lawyer
  • Answering questions that may be posed to yoAu by the CBP officer
  • Anticipating potential problems, such as:
    • Secondary inspection
    • Deferred inspection
    • What if the officer suggests signing Form I-407, Abandonment of Permanent Residence?
    • Notice to Appear for a removal (deportation) hearing in Immigration Court

Related Articles

Making a Congressional Inquiry for Help with Your Immigration Case
Making a Congressional Inquiry for Help with Your Immigration Case

A member of the U.S. Congress may be willing to inquire with a Federal immigration agency, such as U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the U.S. Department of State (DOS), if you are having problems with your case.

Guide to Reentry Permits
Guide to Reentry Permits

If you are a U.S. lawful permanent resident (LPR), there are at least three situations where applying for a reentry permit may be beneficial: (a) if you will be abroad for one year or more; (b) if you will be abroad for more than six months for two consecutive years; and (c) if you have…

AmCham China Addresses U.S. Visa Policy in 2018 White Paper
AmCham China Addresses U.S. Visa Policy in 2018 White Paper

2018 is a historic year for American companies operating in China: as China marks its 40th anniversary of economic reform and opening, AmCham China is issuing the 20th edition of its American Business in China White Paper. This paper is a comprehensive assessment of the operating environment for foreign companies in China. It was a…